On Friday evening just after 7 pm the Hastings-on-Hudson Fire department was dispatched to a dumpster fire on Edgars Lane. Upon arrival the fire was contained to the dumpster. A hose was stretched and the fire was quickly extinguished. The dumpster was in front of a residence under some renovations and was not close to any structure reducing the risk of exposure (spread). The cause of the fires is believed to be from spontaneous combustion from floor finishing products. Home owners are advised to insure that anyone refinishing wood floors read the warning labels on the containers and follow the instructions. The used cans and rags used to apply the products should never be stored inside or close to a structure due to the possibility of spontaneous combustion. Follow the directions for disposal of the containers and rags on the product instruction/warning label. This is not an isolated incident the HHFD have responded to at least one other similar incident with in the last year that came very close to spreading to a residence. The ALL VOLUNTEER FIRE/ EMS Department members are ready to assist the residents of the village when they call for help 24 hours a day seven days a week, 365 days a year.
See attached file for short video.